What is the OAE?
The Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) are a series of exams for new teacher candidates in Ohio administered by the Ohio Department of Education and Pearson testing services. This is an initial licensure program designed in coordination with Ohio learning standards. The OAE measures skills in pedagogy and specific academic subjects.
For licensure, teachers are required to pass the appropriate pedagogy assessment from the following:
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Early Childhood (001)
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Middle Childhood (002)
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Adolescence to Young Adult (003)
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Multi-Age (004)
… as well as passing a content assessment in one of the following subject areas:
- Early Childhood Education (012)
- Foundations of Reading (090)
- Middle Grades English Language Arts (028)
- Middle Grades Mathematics (030)
- Middle Grades Science (029)
- Middle Grades Social Studies (031)
- English Language Arts (020)
- Mathematics (027)
- Integrated Science (024)
- Integrated Social Studies (025)
- Chemistry (009)
- Physics (035)
- Biology (007)
- Earth and Space Science (014)
- Computer Science (054)
- Dance (011)
- Theater (048)
- Health (023)
- School Library Media Specialist (041)
- Music (032)
- Physical Education (034)
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (021)
- Art (006)
- Early Childhood Special Education (013)
- Special Education Specialist: Deaf/Hard of Hearing (044)
- Special Education (043)
- Special Education Specialist: Visually Impaired (045)
- Educational Leadership (015)
- School Counselor (040)
- School Psychologist (042)
For more information on exams offered as part of OAE visit oh.nesinc.com.
Who has to take the OAE?
All new teacher candidates applying for their first licensure or seeking new licensure in the state of Ohio are required to pass the OAE. An example of first licensure is a graduating education major who is applying to an elementary education position in Ohio. An example of new licensure is a middle school science teacher who is already working in Ohio and also wants to be certified to teach special education students who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually impaired. More information about testing requirements can be found at the Ohio Department of Education website.
What OAE test do I have to take?
Don’t be alarmed by the large list of OAE exams. The list above includes the required exams for all grade levels and subject areas. You will only need to take one of the four pedagogy assessments and the specific content assessment(s) required for your certification. The following table gives a summary of the OAE assessments (test code) required for licensure areas from pre-K through high school. If you can’t find your license type or you need additional information on which test to take, visit oh.nesinc.com.
Now that you have a better idea of which OAE exam you should take, it’s time to start preparing.
Visit 240 Tutoring to browse their OAE study guides and get started with a practice test!