Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) Exam Overview
If you’re planning to take on a leadership position in Florida, then preparing for the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) may be required. There is plenty for you to cover! Fortunately, 240 Tutoring is here to help. This guide will take you through all of the need-to-know information about the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084), providing you with a general overview to help you get started on your journey to teaching.
FELE (084) Exam Overview
The Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) consists of 3 subtests:
- Subtest 1: Leadership for Student Learning
- Subtest 2: Organizational Development
- Subtest 3: Systems Leadership
By understanding the breakdown of each competency area, you can prioritize your studying and allocate more time to areas where you may need additional practice and improvement. A balanced approach to studying all sections will lead you to success in the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084). A full breakdown of competency and skill requirements can be found on the FTCE website here.
Time Limit/Number of Questions
You will have:
- Subtest 1: 2 hours to complete 50 multiple choice questions
- Subtest 2: 2 hours to complete 50 multiple choice questions
- 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete 40 multiple-choice questions and 1 essay component
This is a little tricky. Basically, FTCE tests do not use raw scores. Since every student receives different questions from the central computerized bank during test taking, a head-to-head raw score comparison isn’t possible, meaning that each question is weighted differently based on difficulty. For this exam, a scaled score of 200 is required to pass. A maximum of 70% of questions must be answered correctly to pass. You can find our full scoring guide here.
You must pass all 3 subtests in order to pass the FELE. If you fail a subtest, you may retake ONLY that subtest, you do not need to retake all of them.
The Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) costs $215 for the first attempt and $225 for retakes.
Check out the FTCE website to learn more about additional testing fees (also here).
As a side note: if you happen to fail the exam (which we hope you won’t) within 10 scale points of passing: there is an option called a Score Verification session, wherein for $75 you can review your test and submit scoring challenges for review. This could result in a score being changed from a Fail to a Pass, so it’s an option worth knowing about should you find yourself in this position!
You can register for the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) year round. You can start the registration process by logging into your FTCE/FELE account. From there, you will schedule your test based on available dates and locations.
Scoring and Reporting
Pass/non-pass status is typically provided immediately after testing. However, on-site reporting may not be available for tests being redeveloped or revised. A comprehensive score report will be uploaded to your account within 4 weeks of your test date.
You can use the FTCE website to view score report dates to get a better idea of when to expect your score report based on the date you took your test.
Test Preparation Tips
Preparing for the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) can feel overwhelming, but with the right strategies and mindset, we can help you manage the stress and ace the test. Here are some test preparation tips to help you make the most of your study time:
Reviewing Key Concepts and Skills
- Start familiarizing yourself with the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) outline and content areas. This will help you prioritize your study materials and focus on areas that need attention.
- Create a study schedule and allocate dedicated time to each subject area. This will ensure you cover all the necessary content and give yourself enough time for review.
- Review core concepts and skills in each subject area, such as key terms and techniques. Use textbooks, online resources, and study guides to refresh your knowledge.
Practicing Sample Questions and Practice Tests
- Regularly practice sample questions and full-length practice tests to familiarize yourself with the exam format and timing. This will help you build endurance and confidence in answering different questions.
- Analyze your performance in practice tests to identify areas where you need improvement. Focus on understanding the reasoning behind correct answers and learn from any mistakes you make.
- Use official Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084) exam preparation materials, specifically designed to align with the exam content and format. These resources will give you a realistic idea of what to expect on test day.
Developing Effective Study Strategies
- Break down your study materials into smaller, manageable chunks. Focus on understanding the main ideas, key details, and concept connections.
- Use visual aids, such as diagrams, charts, and flashcards, to organize and reinforce information. Visualizing complex ideas can make them easier to comprehend and remember.
- Engage in active learning techniques, such as summarizing content in your own words, teaching concepts to someone else, or participating in study groups. These strategies can deepen your understanding and retention of the material.
Managing Time Effectively
Time management is crucial during the exam to ensure enough time to answer all the questions. Here are some tips for managing your time effectively:
- Read and understand the instructions: Take a few moments at the beginning of each section to read and understand the instructions thoroughly. This will help you approach the questions with clarity.
- Prioritize easier questions: Start with the questions you find easier, as this will help you build confidence and save time for the more challenging ones.
- Pace yourself: Keep an eye on the time and allocate it wisely for each question. If you’re stuck on a difficult question, move on and return to it later if you have time.
- For multiple choice tests like this one, keep in mind that you ALWAYS want to at least submit a guess answer to every question, even if you aren’t sure!
Remember, staying calm and focused on the task can greatly improve your performance during the exam. Use these exam-day instructions to streamline your test-taking process and maximize your chances of success.
Important Exam Day Instructions
On the day of your Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) (084), you must be well-prepared and aware of the instructions to ensure a smooth testing experience.
Checking Required Documents
Before leaving for the exam, double-check that you have all the necessary documents to bring with you. These typically include:
- Admission ticket: Make sure your admission ticket is printed and ready to present at the test center.
- Valid identification: Bring a valid form of identification, such as a driver’s license or passport, to verify your identity.
- Necessary materials: Some exams may require you to bring specific materials, such as calculators or pencils. Check the exam guidelines to ensure you have the necessary materials with you.